Last Thursday we had the first SAMS meeting at which some of you expressed their interest in joining the executive committee. SAMS is still looking for more masters students who want to be part of the executive committee for this academic year. Any masters student at the IoA can apply to be part of the executive (that includes conservation, cultural heritage and museum studies students among others not just archaeology masters). Being part of the committee gives you the opportunity to be directly involved in the masters experience outside of the lectures and get to know the Institute of Archaeology better by working directly with the staff and lecturers. It also looks good as an extracurricular activity on your CV!
If you are interested in filling any position, you can fill in and send the attached nomination form to the SAMS email address (email@example.com) saying which position you would like to hold and why. For more details on the role of each executive you can take a look at the SAMS constitution on the SAMS website. Below is a list of all available executive positions:
- President/Co-president (1 to 2 positions available)
- Vice-President (1 position available)
- Secretary (1 position available)
- Treasurer (1 position available)
- Workshop Coordinator (2 positions available)
- Social Events Coordinator (2 positions available)
- Conference Coordinator (2 positions available)
- Fundraising Coordinator (2 positions available)
- Communication and Social Media Coordinator (1 position available)
- Alumni Relations and Community Outreach Officer (1 position available)
At the end of the meeting the new SAMS executive council for this year will be selected. If more persons than required apply for the same position, or there is any opposition, we will hold a vote for that position. All SAMS members, that is all IoA masters students (i.e. you!), can vote even if not on the executive committee. Any masters students present at the meeting, even if they haven't sent a nomination form, will be given the opportunity to run for an executive position.
Also, do not forget to sign up for our social media. A new Facebook group has been created for this years masters students so make sure to join it and keep an eye on the existing facebook group as well, since there you can network with ex-master students alumni who will be more than willing to help you with any queries you might have about your studies.
Hope to see you on Wednesday,